Jeffrey S. Zollinger, DO
Dr. Zollinger is board certified and fellowship trained in interventional pain medicine. He completed his residency and fellowship training at the world-renowned Mayo Clinic. He recognizes many suffer from chronic pain from a variety of causes, which is why he is dedicated to finding the source of your pain and developing a treatment plan that is specific to your needs. He understands that pain is best treated using a comprehensive and a multidisciplinary approach tailored to individuals.
Dr. Zollinger graduated from Brigham Young University and completed medical school at Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences. After medical school, he completed his residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and a subspecialty in Pain Medicine at Mayo Clinic. During his four years at Mayo Clinic, he received invaluable training in diagnosing and treating complex pain conditions under the mentorship of many internationally recognized physicians.
Dr. Zollinger is fellowship trained and board certified in both Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and Interventional Pain Medicine.
In 2018, Dr. Zollinger was honored to receive the Northern Nevada Humanitarian Health Care Heroes Award from Nevada Business Magazine for his ongoing support and participation in international medicine, particularly in Guatemala. He is fluent in Spanish.
Darrell Vydra, DO
Dr. Vydra is a board-eligible-certified pain management and physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist. He attended Winthrop University in Rock Hill, SC, on a soccer scholarship where he obtained his bachelor’s degree in biology and exercise science. He served as the assistant strength and conditioning coach for 6 months before deciding to return to school. He attended William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine for his medical degree. He underwent residency training in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio Joe and Teresa Lozano Long School of Medicine. Dr. Vydra then went on to complete a fellowship in pain management at the prestigious Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science in Jacksonville, Florida. Prior to becoming a physician, Dr. Vydra obtain his Doctorate in Physical Therapy from the University of Mississippi Medical Center and worked as a physical therapist before deciding he wanted to provide more care for his patients.
He enjoys health and fitness and provides lifestyle coaching in his spare time focusing on injury prevention, nutrition, weight management, exercise prescription. In addition to interventional procedures to treat acute and chronic pain conditions, he utilizes nutrition, exercise, and Osteopathic Manual Therapy to treat numerous painful conditions. He has authored numerous publications and presented at multiple national conferences (listed at the bottom of this page).
Dr. Vydra lives in Reno with his family and enjoys all the active lifestyle that Northern Nevada offers.
Jesson Baumgartner, DO
Dr. Baumgartner is a physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R) specialist. He attended Southern Utah University (SUU) for his undergraduate degree. At SUU he competed at the NCAA Division I level in Track and Field and Cross Country. After graduation, Dr. Baumgartner pursued his medical degree at Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine. He completed his residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the world-renowned Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. During residency, Dr. Baumgartner gained extensive training in nerve conduction studies, electromyography, and musculoskeletal ultrasound for diagnostic and interventional purposes. In addition, he is fellowship trained in Osteopathic Manual Medicine and uses this therapy to treat numerous painful conditions.
Dr. Baumgartner is passionate about health. He understands both acute and chronic pain can be very complex and life altering. He treats pain in all areas of the body with a comprehensive, personalized approach, utilizing the most recent diagnostic techniques and procedures.
He lives in Reno with his wife and three young children. He enjoys running, cycling, competing in multi-sport events, and experiencing the outdoors of Northern Nevada with his family.
John Young, MD
Dr. John Young is a double board-certified pain management specialist who is dedicated to providing compassionate and effective care to his patients. Dr. Young earned his B.S. in Biology from Brigham Young University and went on to obtain his M.D. from the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine. He completed his residency in Anesthesiology at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center and pursued further specialization with a fellowship in Interventional Pain Management at Oregon Health & Science University.
As a member of the American Society of Anesthesiology and the Spine Intervention Society, Dr. Young is passionate about staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in pain management. His dedication to his patients is reflected in his membership in the Gold Humanism Honor Society.
Dr. Young’s expertise and compassion make him an ideal choice for anyone seeking relief from pain. He takes the time to listen to his patients’ concerns and thoroughly evaluate their medical history before developing a personalized treatment plan that addresses their unique needs. With Dr. Young’s guidance, patients can regain control of their health and achieve a better quality of life.
Outside of his work, Dr. Young enjoys spending time with his wife and 4 children, skiing, camping and backpacking.
Jeffery Muir, MD
Dr. Muir is board certified in the specialty of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation and the subspecialty of Pain Medicine. He started his medical training at the University of Utah School of Medicine, where he earned his medical degree. Dr. Muir then went on to complete his internship in Internal Medicine and residency in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. After this, he pursued additional subspecialty fellowship training in Pain Medicine at Dartmouth in Lebanon, New Hampshire. Dr. Muir has received multiple awards and published numerous papers throughout his medical career as referenced below. His expertise is in the diagnosis and management of painful diseases of the muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints, bones, and nerves.
Dr. Muir speaks Spanish fluently, which he learned after spending two years living in Veracruz, Mexico, from 1998-2000 while serving a mission for his church. He has participated in international medical work in the Dominican Republic, Peru, Costa Rica, and Guatemala. His undergraduate degree from Brigham Young University was in Latin American Studies.
- G. Keith Stillwell Memorial Award for Outstanding Resident Research – Mayo Clinic Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation – 2012
- Ernest W. Johnson Excellence in Research Writing Honorable Mention Award – Association of Academic Physiatrists – 2011
- Resident/Fellow Abstract Travel Award – American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine – Annual Pain Medicine Meeting – 2010
- Alpha Omega Alpha – University of UtahSchool of Medicine
- Honors Graduate — BrighamYoung University
- Qu W, Muir JJ, Osborne MD. Device-device Interference of a Bipolar Spinal Cord Stimulator with a Bipolar ICD – A Case Report. Neuromodulation. 2013 (accepted for publication)
- Xiao L, Cheng J, Zhuang Y, Qu W, Muir J, Liang H, Zhang D. Botulinum Toxin
- Type A Reduces Hyperalgesia and TRPV1 Expression in Rats with Neuropathic Pain.
- Pain Med. 2013 Feb;14(2):276-86.
- Muir JJ, Pingree MJ, Moeschler SM. Acute Cauda Equina Syndrome Secondary to a Lumbar Synovial Cyst. Pain Physician. 2012 Sep-Oct;15(5):435-40.
- Muir JJ, Curtiss HM, Hollman J, Smith J, Finnoff JT. The Accuracy of Ultrasound-Guided and Palpation-Guided Peroneal Tendon Sheath Injections. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 2011 Jul;90(7):564-71.
- Peck ER, Muir JJ, Curtiss HM, Hollman J, Smith J, Finnoff JT. Accuracy of Palpation-Guided and Ultrasound-Guided Needle Tip Placement into the Deep and Superficial Posterior Leg Compartments. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2011 Sep;39(9):1968-74.
- Curtiss HM, Finnoff JT, Peck E, Hollman J, Muir J, Smith J. Accuracy of Ultrasound-Guided and Palpation-Guided Knee Injections by an Experienced and Less Experienced Injector using a Superolateral Approach: A Cadaveric Study. PM R. 2011 Jun;3(6):507-15.
- Kloesel B, Czarnecki K, Muir JJ, Keller AS. Sequelae of a left-sided parietal stroke: posterior alien hand syndrome. Neurocase. 2010 Dec;16(6):488-93.
- Muir JJ. The Color of the Human Soul. The Legible Script: A National Literary Journal Sponsored by the University of Southern Florida College of Medicine. 2006 April; 7, 70.
- Muir JJ. The Harvest. The Legible Script: A National Literary Journal Sponsored by the University of Southern Florida College of Medicine. 2006 April; 7, 75.
- Connors RC, Muir JJ, Liu Y, Reiss GR, Kouretas PC, Whitten MG, Sorenson TK,
- Prestwich GD, Bull DA. Postoperative pericardial adhesion prevention using Carbylan-SX in a rabbit model. J Surg Res. 2007 Jun 15;140(2):237-42
- Muir JJ, Jones LK. Polyradiculoneuropathy Secondary to Immunoglobulin Light Chain Amyloidosis. Association of Academic Physiatrists 2012 Annual Meeting. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012. Apr;91(4):
- Conley K, Muir JJ, Christopherson MW. Left Ventricular Assist Device Outcomes During Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation. Association of Academic Physiatrists 2012 Annual Meeting. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012. Apr;91(4):
- Muir JJ, Pingree MJ, Moeschler SM. Lumbar Synovial Cyst: An Unusual Cause of Acute Cauda Equina Syndrome. American Academy of Pain Medicine 2012 Annual Meeting.
- Muir JJ, Eldrige JS. Intercostal Nerve Radiofrequency Ablation for Refractory Chest Wall Pain. American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine 2011 Annual Pain Medicine Meeting.
- Muir JJ. Hirayama Disease: A Case Report. Association of Academic Physiatrists 2011 Annual Meeting. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2011. Apr;90(4):A36.
- Muir JJ, Curtiss HM, Hollman J, Smith J, Finnoff JT. Accuracy of Ultrasound-Guided and Palpation-Guided Peroneal Tendon Sheath Injections. American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine 2010 Annual Pain Medicine Meeting. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2010; 4.
- Belsky M, Muir JJ, Tarquino M, Muir WS. Plasma Disc Decompression: A Minimally Invasive Disc Decompression Study. International Spine Intervention Society 2010 18th Annual Scientific Meeting.
- Muir JJ, Derr M, Schmidt KD. Treatment of Intractable Cervical Dystonia After Traumatic Brain Injury with Selective Peripheral Denervation and Rehabilitation: A Case Report. Association of Academic Physiatrists 2010 Annual Meeting. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2010. Apr;89(4):S54.
PUBLICATIONS/PRESENTATIONS BY DR. DARRELL VYDRA
- Vydra D, Nagpal A, Seale C. Differential Diagnosis and Treatment of Visceral Pain in the Pelvis and Abdomen. AAPMR PM&R Knowledge NOW®. October 2019.
- Vydra D, Rayi A. Myotonic Dystrophy. [Updated 2020 Mar 24]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2020 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK557446/
- Vydra D, Hynes A, Clements N, et al. Current Practice Trends in Image Guidance During Lumbar and Cervical Transforaminal Epidural Steroid Injections. Pain Med. doi:10.1093/pm/pnz065
- Vydra D, McCormick Z, Clements N, Nagpal A, Julia J, Cushman D. Current Trends in Steroid Dose Choice and Frequency of Administration of Epidural Steroid Injections: A Survey Study. PM R. doi: 10.1002/pmrj.12192
- Clements N, Vydra D, Cushman DM, et al. Trends in Steroid Agent and Diluent Choices for Epidural Steroid Injections: A Survey of Spine Intervention Society Physicians. Reg Anesth Pain Med. doi:10.1136/rapm-2018-100366
- Nagpal AS, Vydra D, Correa J, Zoch IA, Boies BT. Evidence Analysis of Sympathetic Blocks for Visceral Pain. Curr Phys Med Rehabil Report.
- Hynes A, Vydra D, Clements N, Julia J, Nagpal A, Cushman D, McCormick Z. Current Trends in the use of Sedation During Spine Intervention Procedures: A Survey Study. Pain Med. DOI: 10.1093/pm/pnz194
- Vydra D, Clements N, Nagpal A, Boise B; Opioids in Pain; pp 229-244; In Textbook of Pain Care Essentials and Innovations; Elsevier; St. Louis, MO; 2021; Pangarkar, Pham, Eapen, ed.
- Lin K, Vydra D; Seizure Management in Rehabilitation Settings; Chapter 56; In Textbook of Principles of Rehabilitation Medicine: Case-Based Board Review. McGraw Hill. 2021; Mitra Raj.
- Current Trends in Steroid Dose Choice and Frequency of Administration of Epidural Steroid Injections: A Survey Study. Spine Intervention Society Annual Meeting—From Molecules to Medicine: Emerging Spine Care. New York City, New York. August 14-17, 2019.
- Current Trends in Steroid Dose Choice and Frequency of Administration of Epidural Steroid Injections: A Survey Study. UT Health San Antonio Research Day. San Antonio, TX. May 11, 2021.
- Current Practice Trends in Image Guidance During Lumbar and Cervical Transforaminal Epidural Steroid Injections. Spine Intervention Society Annual Meeting—From Molecules to Medicine: Emerging Spine Care. New York City, New York. August 14-17, 2019.
- Measuring Acute Medical Discharge from an Inpatient Rehabilitation Medicine Service. UT Health San Antonio Research Day. San Antonio, TX. May 11, 2021.