Arlo Schenk, APRN
Arlo Schenk received a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing from the University of Nevada, Reno, (UNR) in 2008. He later went on to receive his Master of Science in Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner Degree in 2014, also from UNR. Prior to receiving his degree, Arlo worked as a Firefighter on the Ruby Mountain Hotshots. For over six years, he served as a crew medic who administered care for traumatic injuries for his fellow firefighters and patrons throughout the area.
During his professional career, Arlo has trained in a variety of settings ranging from mental health and acute psychology to Pediatrics and Intensive Care. While working in a number of intensive care units, Arlo acquired advanced critical care skills. Arlo continued to magnify this advanced training by becoming a Professor of Nursing at the Orvis School of Nursing. As a professor, he taught Critical Care Skills to the undergraduate nursing students.
Today, Arlo works as a Nurse Practitioner at Sweetwater Pain and Spine. He is an strong asset to our collaborative team of providers.
In his free time, Arlo enjoys being outdoors and spending time with his growing family. He loves to hike and explore the Northern Nevada area. He is also a beekeeper and sells his own local honey.
- Fluent in Spanish and English
- Certified in “Basic Life Support” through American Heart Association.
- Basic Training in the Introduction to Basic ECG Interpretation
- Certified Training in 12-lead ECG Interpretation
- Certified Basic Training in the Care of the Cardiovascular Surgical Patient
- Certified in the use and general function of a balloon pump
- Served on the “Core Measures” committee at Northern Nevada Medical Center. While serving, NNMC improved its core measure compliance by over 30%, based on the ideas and programs rolled out by him and his fellow committee members.
- Arlo was elected by fellow students to the Admission, Progression, Student Affairs committee, and served for four semesters. This committee reviews student appeals in regards to the school of nursing. Such items include, but are not limited to, admittance, resume education after missed time, requests to exempt classes from the requirements, and so on.
- Volunteer for the Orvis Nursing Clinic’s immunization day, giving immunizations to patients ranging in age 6 months to 81 years old.
- Nominated for a Northern Nevada Nurses of Achievement Award in Critical Care 2/2012 and 2/2013.
- Nominated for Employee of the Year 12/2011 at Northern Nevada Medical Center.
- Given the “Silver Star” Employee of the Quarter at Northern Nevada Medical Center 3/2011.
- Voted to receive “US Air Force Outstanding Student Salute Award” by fellow nursing students 12/2008.
- Won the Nevada State High School Photography Competition in 1999, placing 5th nationally.